Monday, June 6, 2011

What can 2 months of CrossFit do for you?



^^^This is what it has done for me...^^^

Well there it is folks! It's been a little over two months now, so I figured it was time to give everyone a visual of what all these silly flog posts add up to. Besides, nobody really wants to read about what you're doing, they just want to see results. So here they are. I don't have know exactly what I weighed in the first pictures, but I'm probably down a good 10-15 pounds, and that's with the lean muscle I've been putting on. I'm doing pull-ups now, I'm running further without feeling exhausted, I'm much more flexible, and my overall day-to-day activities have improved tremendously. And these are just the things I have noticed! But I think the best part of this whole thing is that I have found something that works! Sure I was doing great just going to the gym running and lifting, but that got SO boring! I haven't had a boring day yet doing CrossFit. Everyday is a new challenge that kicks the hell out of you and leaves you in a sweaty pile on the ground smiling. It's awesome!! I want to thank everyone from CrossFit IoTA for all the support and encouragement that they provide! It makes a world of difference to walk into that box and be surrounded by amazing people who encourage you to be your best! My beautiful wife and Team Darwin teammate Carlie is itching to get back at it so bad, she's scratching at the walls. She has come along way with me so watch for her update in the near future! Until then, keep reading!




Monday 6/6/2011
COACHES CHALLENGE (CrossFit Games Regional WOD#6)
Row 20 calories
30 – Burpees
40 – 45 pound Two-arm dumbbell ground-to-overhead
50 – Toes to bar
100 foot Walking lunge with 45lb plate held overhead
150 foot Sprint

Micah-17:35(35lb presses)

There is a reason this is a regional WOD... to put it simply, it kicked my ass. But what should I have expected, when facing something they concocted to challenge some of the worlds best athletes?
When Coach Brett was explaining this WOD for those who signed up for it, I thought to myself, "Yeah, I can do 45lb presses easy! My wife says I'm strong!" Yeah... not so much. I ended up switching to 35lbs after only 10 of the 40 reps. Then once my arms were sufficiently reduced to jello, I was expected to hang from a bar for 50 toes-to-bars? Sure. I ended up having to just work them in sets of 5's, thankfully Curtis came over and helped verbally coach me through the last 20 or so. Can I just say that Curtis is the man?! He's one of the shining examples of what the CrossFit community is. He is always smiling, pleasant, and there to help anyone through with words of encouragement. I'm gushing, aren't I? Moving on! The walking lunge was pretty bad, mostly because my arms were to tired to even hold the plate over my head, and when I finally finished, my legs weren't very cooperative with my sprint, so the first few yards looked like the chase scene from Forest Gump when he's still wearing his "magic legs." Still, when it was all said and done, I was filled with an immense sense of accomplishment. My mind cleared and I felt peaceful. And as I sat in the early morning air, just breathing, listening to the birds chirping, watching the sunrise and I couldn't help but to think that, that moment could only be more perfect if I didn't want to puke! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Great Photos Micah! Your changes are amazing! I am so impressed with your enthusiasm and hard work! Like you am am SO hooked on CrossFit! You are a great example of what it can do for everyone. Keep up the hardwork and see you at the box!

    ReplyDelete